Frachtbox team

EU Community Licence

Published 06 Oct 2020

EU Community Licence

International road haulage: operator licences

If you operate vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating above 3.5 tonnes on international journeys, you need a number of licences and permits.

You must have a vehicle operator licence to carry our own good, and other people's good on international journeys.

The other licences and permits you need depend on which countries the vehicle will travel to or through.

EU Community Licence

You can apply for EU Community Licence if you make international journeys for hire or reward within the 27 EU countries and 5 other countries. You can still apply for the licences, even though the UK has left the EU. EU Community Licence also allows cabotage (loading and unloading of goods for hire of reward between 2 points in a country by a vehicle that's not registered in that country).

You can use the licence in:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

Where does a transport company apply for an EU licence?

The EU licence is applied for at the transport authority responsible for the company's headquarters within Europe.

How long is an EU licence valid?

The EU licence is issued for a period of 10 years and can also be renewed on request.